Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Iowa State Fair 2012

So for the past two years I have made an effort to go to the Iowa State Fair, which to some it may sound surprising because the misconception is that every Iowan goes to the State Fair all the days every single year of their life upon birth. Actually though, I can honestly say I've only been to the State Fair a handful of times. So today I woke up early, grabbed a cute outfit & curled my hair and met up with my friend Cody to have our little adventure at the ISF.

Once we got there, we parked the car in some lady's yard for $10(they really make bank up around there this time of year) and began to walk towards the entrance. We had prebought our tickets at a grocery store since they were cheaper($7) so the entry was a quick and simple process.

It was probably around 10ish a.m. when we got there and what did we do? We ate! Not just anything but a double bacon corn dog! Only in Iowa right? The ISF actually is home of over 50 foots on a stick, which is including salad, PB&J, and even beer! We kind of take pride in that little tradition and each year its interesting in seeing what the creators at the fair will think of next.

So we ended up walking around, going through the buildings and seeing what the vendors had and even looked at the fair projects the 4-H & FFA groups in Iowa did. We watched some shows(Bill Riley Talent Show and some music shows) and ate some more(chocolate chip cookies! YUM) And of course we had to go to the old soda fountain and order some Chocolate Cherry Cokes!

Honestly, I have to say the best part of my fair experience(and perhaps the most tiring) was when I had made a fool of myself on the Bungee jump attraction at the state fair. Everything was going fine...until I almost face planted due to bad landing. It was fun, but I was defiantly thirsty after the ordeal. Luckily my friend Cody saved the day and bought me a lemonade (:



I pretty much had to take a picture(left) of one of these things. With Iowa's new strive to become more energy efficient, we have wind turbines almost everywhere! My brother in law actually is certified to work on those. SCARY! I wouldn't want to climb up that high!
Elvis Duran was kind of the real reason of us going to the Iowa State Fair. BUT the line was so huge. So we simply had to watch from afar :(
I got to pet a Kangaroo!
As I said before, the Iowa State Fair prides itself in its food choices. And of course you cant go to the Iowa State Fair without sampling some of the most amazing chocolate chip cookies EVER! They are so warm and moist, even now I'm craving to hop in my car and pay the admission to just get some of these bad boys!
And of course you cant forget to hit up the Historical Village to go visit the real live Soda Fountain! I used to live in Albia,Iowa so we had a Soda fountain and I visited it frequently and ordered Chocolate Cherry Cokes(which is whats in the picture) They are delicious! So defiantly try one when you can!
 And I pet a Zebra! How many people can tell you that they have pet a Zebra and a Kangaroo(twice) in their life!?!
All and all I had an amazing day at the fair and defiantly suggest for those who have not gone to at least go once. We were exhausted by the time we go home :/ Unfortunately I literally had to leave  again right after I sat down on my futon *sigh*

Stay Beautiful!
Cait<3

No comments:

Post a Comment